Sunday, February 12, 2012

Helpful girl...or not

 Lately, I've been unable to sleep very well. In fact, I've averaged about 4-5 hours of sleep per night. Bennett will wake up around 4 or 5am, and I just can't fall back asleep. This morning was one of those days~ I settled Bennett back to sleep at 4am and my body decided I was up for the day. I got some stuff done and played with the boys when they woke up at 7am. B wasn't feeling well, so we stayed home from church and just rested with the kids all day. We put them all down for a nap around 1pm, so B and I laid down too. He got up and went to work at 2pm, but left me sleeping. When I finally woke up at 4pm, I heard ALL of the kids downstairs. No, that can't be right...
  As I came down the stairs, I heard Bennett squealing.

"Sophia, how did Bennett get out of his crib?"
"I got him out. I just climbed in and held on to him VERY tight."
"How did he get into his high chair?"
"I used a stool and put him in."

Oh my goodness! This little girl thinks she is way older than she really is!

"Why didn't you wake me up?? I need to be awake if you guys are, honey."
"I wanted to let you sleep. Anyway, I need to practice being a mommy."

What??? Isn't she only five? Where does this mentality come from?

"You don't need to practice quite yet. You need to be a little girl as long as you can, honey."
"Well Mommy, I'm not going to be little for too much longer."

Isn't that the truth?! After this, I had her repeat something we've been teaching her: the order of life. Granted, life doesn't always turn out the way you plan (case-in-point: Bennett), but trying to follow the order will make life a little easier.

"Sophia, what's the order?"
"Go to college, get a job, get married, have babies. That's the order."
"That's right, let's just be a little girl for a while, okay?"
"Okay Mommy."

Next time, I'll have to have B wake me up before he leaves; I can't have any more helping going on while I'm sleeping! Hopefully, tonight will be better and I can get some good rest. Thankfully, I'm off nights for a few weeks so my body should acclimate to real life again. I can't wait until I can cut back at work and only work 2 days per week!

No comments:

Post a Comment