Thursday, September 15, 2011

What a day!

  Today started like any other work day- I got up, got ready, and got to work a little before 7am. I learned upon my arrival that I would be again training as a triage nurse (something everyone but me seems to think I'm ready for!). Things went as well as they could, and I learned a lot from Karla (just like I did from Liz and Sherry when I trained with them). Around 10 am, I was working with a great student nurse when my manager Diane asked if I could meet with her for a few minutes. Even though I knew better, I first thought was that I was in some sort of trouble. I felt better when Diane invited Emily (the student nurse, and a friend of mine) to come with; surely she wouldn't talk to me about anything troubling with a student in tow! Diane stated "this would be great for a student to be in on also." That intrigued me a little...
  We headed to the break room, and upon opening the door I was greeted by about 20 smiling faces (and THREE boxes of cinnamon rolls- you know you're a nurse when you notice food right away!). I was presented with the DAISY Award for Excellent Nurses! I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know I was nominated. I had heard about the award when they first started implementing it at Altru (it's given every quarter) and thought it was a wonderful program, (if you're wondering what it's about, see the website at http://daisyfoundation.org/) and I often see many of my co-workers exemplifying what it means to be an excellent nurse. I learned I was nominated by my friend Tiffany, whom I cared for during the delivery of her baby boy Kyson when he was about 20 weeks along. I didn't do anything special, I just cared for her and baby as I would and do for any of my other patients. I am proud to be an OB nurse and I just hope each day that I prove that and give my patients the care they not only deserve to get, but the care I deserve to give. I love my job, and I am so humbled to even be nominated, let alone to win. Needless to say, it sure made for a great day, and made me proud to be a nurse!!

2 comments:

  1. I know you take care of each and every one of your patients as wonderfully as you took care of me, and that's why you deserve the award!

    ReplyDelete